API stands for Application Programming Interface. It is software that allows data transmission. Facebook launched its graph and marketing API version 12.0 last April 2021. It is the platform’s third move to counteract third-party data loss by adopting targeting expansion based on AI on estimation and prediction. As part of an integration plan, it also enabled the API on Instagram, Messenger, and WhatsApp. Today, Meta introduces Facebook API version 14.0.
Facebook API version 14.0 adopts the following changes in its backend systems:
- Access verification to help identify the providers
- An updated data protection assessment question for developers asking if the application will be used for data sharing, to disadvantage other people, to make decisions for certain categories, or as part of surveillance
- Post Conversion Optimization for advertisers to optimize events deeper in the conversion funnel
- Simplified categories for WhatsApp Messaging Templates
- Username field on Messenger API
Meta introduces Facebook API version 14.0 on 26 May 2022.
Implications to Marketers:
Facebook API version 14.0 is more of a Facebook developer’s concern. But for marketers, it means better and updated targeting options to boost brand awareness and conversion in Meta’s family of apps.