Google aims to provide searchers a great web page experience. It has been making industry researches and internal studies to improve search criteria. It then rolled out an advertising solution center, audio engagement, and Shoploop. Today, Google announces a new core web vital metrics to take effect in May 2021.
Core Web Vitals
The new “Core Web Vitals” adds factors related to a web page experience to Google’s existing search signals. To date, Google considers three factors on a web page search ranking. These are:
- HTTPS-security. Google considers HTTPS websites as the best performing webpages. Such extensions use secure encryptions for the users’ protection.
- Intrusive Interstitial Guidelines. This factor accounts for how a searcher finds the best results for his search. Relevant keywords and quality information are the keys to rank in Google.
- Mobile-friendliness. This is the number of steps for a user to complete a customer journey. The lesser and simpler steps can rank on the top page. URLs should also be the same in whatever device is used.
- Safe-browsing. This means registering a webpage or website to the Google search console for safety and security.
The new factors to affect search ranking in May 2021 are:
- Largest Contentful Paint (LCP). This is the loading speed of a webpage which should occur within 2.5 seconds.
- First Input Delay (FID). This is the measure of how long it takes a webpage to be interactive. Google notes to target an FID of less than 100 milliseconds.
- Cumulative Layout Shifts (CLS). This is a measure of the web page’s visual stability. Poor visual stability results in low Google ranking.
Google announces a new core web vital metrics to take effect on May 2021 on 10 November 2020.
Implications for Marketers:
Google’s new “Core Web Vitals” are clear signals that the platform is keeping up with trends to provide a great webpage experience. Marketers should start testing these elements to prepare for its rollout. Since then, Google has been the number 1 search engine in the world. Thus, every brand should aim to rank first on Google if they want to increase awareness and conversion.