On the 23rd of July, the Tokyo Olympics will commence. With Twitter recording 2 billion gaming tweets last year, it will surely take part in this recent sports event. Recently Twitter Spaces exclusively hosted the latest NFL season’s content. Today, Twitter enables new game conversation and reaction features. These new game conversation and reaction features aim to provide the best conversations among Olympic fans worldwide.
First off, the platform adds custom emojis and hashtags for the Tokyo Olympics. These include:
- Cheering for the Refugee Olympic Team using #EOR to unlock the team’s emojis.
- Hashflags, featuring flags of participating nations which can be unlocked by tweeting the first 3 letters of the country name.
- Using #Olympics to unlock premium sports emojis. This special hashtag will also be available in 30 different languages.
Twitter also enables hashflags for some Olympic legends such as:
- American Gymnast, Simone Biles
- Japanese Gymnast, Kohei Uchimura
- Japanese Swimmer, Rikako Ikee
- Japanese Tennis Players, Kei Nishikori, and Naomi Osaka
Together with adding a new Olympic section on the Explore tab, the platform will also run custom games Event Pages. These will feature top tweets about the Olympic games from trusted sports enthusiasts.
Twitter enables new game conversation and reaction features as of 21 July 2021.
Implications for Marketers:
Twitter’s new game conversation and reaction features just to show how people love sports worldwide. For marketers, this is an opportunity to partner with sports influencers to promote relevant brands on Twitter. By joining conversations using these new features, brands will surely stand up during the Tokyo Olympics games.